Fortification of sugar
- vitamin A: plays a very important role in reducing child mortality and improves visual function and immune response.
- Iron: contributes to avoid the anemia by deficiency of iron, it lack nutritional of greater prevalence in those countries in development.
- Exact weight in safe container.
- OXO biodegradable container packaging, allows material degradation in 2 years instead of over 100.
Corporate Social Responsibility
Do business with strict compliance of the law and attachment to the ethics is the management responsible for the sustainability.
We have worked on the following policies trade issues:
- 2003 – labour/field and transport
- 2011 – HIV in the workplace
- 2012 – occupational safety and health
- 2015- management environmental
strengthen corporate governance through training on CSR practices as management tools to strengthen institutional identity and the continuous improvement of job performance at all levels and areas of agro-industry enterprises. Working primarily in:
- Laboral cutters
- Transport of cane
- Handling environmental
we have developed policies and rules at Union level to:
a) Manual of policies and standards of services for court personnel in the field.
b) Manual of orientation behavior of the cane cutter.
- Employment contract
- No child labor
- housing modules
- Hosting Services
- Shuttle buses
- Productivity pay
- Additional features
- Anthropological approach / stewardship
They have developed good practice manuals transport:
a) Manual Defensive driving
b) Best Practices Manual Transport Sugarcane and Derivatives.
- Best Practices Manual Transportation of sugarcane and its derivatives
- Defensive Driving Manual for Transport Pilot
- Training and Certification School for Transport Pilot Sugar Guatemala
- 3,800kms. of internal road
- circulation in national highways and urban areas was reduced in travel 174 thousand trips
- 70% of the cane trucks transiting roads that is 3 out of 10 trucks transiting by road
Cleaning streets and highways sections:
- 600 kms. Daily cleaning on paved roads
- 19 small businesses
Climate and Hydrology Research
The main objective of the Climate and Hydrology Research program is to generate information and analysis of the weather and hydric resources, which contribute to the wellness of the population and the sustainability of the productive systems. Specifically, it aims that the processes stated above don’t become affected by extreme weather events and the climate changes that can occur in the future, which are considered as part of the adaptation to climate change process.
The Climate and Hydrology Research program perform its main researches in the following areas:
Climatology – Underwater Hydrology – Hydrology
Some of the principal activities of the Climate and Hydrology Research program are:
- Management of the meteorological network supported by the sugar industry
- Flood risk analysis studies
- Hydrological rainfall-runoff models and assessment of potential danger.
- Analysis of hydrological extreme weather events.
Sustainability of Productive Systems
The Sustainability of Productive Systems program contributes to the sustainability of the productive systems that are priority for the Private Institute for Climate Change Research, ICC, through its environmental management.
Among the main activities of this program are:
- Elaboration of the Environmental Policies of the Sugar Association of Guatemala ASAZGUA.
- Elaboration of the Green House Gasses inventory of the sugar production and electricity production.
- Identification and promotion of actions to adapt to climate change.
- Advisory for the forestry-productive actions of the sugar mills.
Integrated Watershed Management
Promoting and implementing actions to upkeep the integrity of the natural resources in the watersheds considering their socio-cultural context is the main objective of the Integrated Watershed Management program.
To achieve the main objective, the following main work areas have been established:
- To gather and generate basic information of the watersheds and to establish a base line.
- To promote and follow up on social organization processes to manage watersheds
- To influence in the management and protection of forests
- To support the integrated water management
- To contribute in soil protection
Disaster Risk Management
Through this program, the Private Institute for Climate Change Research, ICC, influences disaster risk reduction by promoting actions based upon the analysis of natural and social factors. Likewise, it identifies the main climatic threats of the areas. This program aims to contribute to the understanding of potential risks and to watch them over time.
In the social scope, the program performs diverse analysis of the vulnerability of towns, their infrastructure and production systems, therefore, weak points are identified and actions get prioritized to reduce risks.
Capacity Building and Communications
The Capacity Building and Communications program has a transversal personality, since it works altogether with the other programs and unifies them to achieve its goals. The main objective is to influence in the ability of the people and the productive systems to react against the changes in climate.
This objective is achieved through:
- Releasing pertinent information using written and digital media.
- Executing educational programs and raising awareness through the organization of formative events.
- Providing advisory and follow up to the institutions and member corporations of the Private Institute for Climate Change Research, ICC.
- Coordinating the training and constant update of the personnel of the ICC for them to perform their job in the most professional way possible.